Your brain has the capacity to change throughout your lifetime due to a property known as brain plasticity.
1. Your brain weighs about three pounds.
60 percent of the dry weight is fat, making the brain the fattiest organ in the body.
2. The brain in your head isn’t your only brain.
There is a “second brain” in your stomach that contains 100 million neurons.
3. 25 percent of the body’s cholesterol resides within the brain. Without adequate cholesterol, brain cells will die.
4. Low levels of omega-3 essential fatty acids result in brain shrinkage equivalent to two years of structural brain aging.
5. There are no pain receptors in the brain. Headache pain is caused by surrounding structures like skin, joints, sinuses, blood vessels or muscles.
Headache pain feels like it starts in your brain but is caused by sensations from nearby skin, joints, sinuses, blood vessels or muscles.
6. Babies have big heads to hold rapidly growing brains.
A 2 year old’s brain is 80% of adult size.
7. Study shows Millennials (18-34) are more forgetful than seniors.
8. The brains of introverts and extroverts are measurably different.
MRIs reveal that the dopamine reward network is more active in the brains of extroverts while introverts’ brains have more grey matter.
9. According to research done at Cambridge University, the order of letters in a word doesn’t matter much to your brain.
If the first and last letters are in the right spot, your brain can rearrange the letters to form words as fast as you can read.
10. 95 percent of our purchase decision making takes place in the subconscious mind says Harvard Business School.